FileMaker Pro and Jaws

  • From: "Ruth Lazzari" <Ruth.Lazzari@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 08:48:18 -0700

Hi all,

I apologize if this question is a little too broad for this list.  I am working
with a special education teacher (a Jaws user) who is required to use Filemaker
runtime database forms and have confirmed, with not only Freedom but all the
major screen-reader programs, that it is pretty much uncustomizable or
scriptable.

I am trying to garner more information regarding Filemaker and it's past and
current lack of accessibility with screen-readers. Yet, apparently, the latest
version of Filemaker Pro allows a web design that could perhaps be usable with
Jaws.  A couple of questions:

a) Has anyone out there actually successfully used a program created in the
latest Filemaker version? Utilizing the new web-publishing capabilities or not?

Filemaker's web page that discusses how 508 compliant they are, yet on the same
page it states "there are still issues with screenreaders".  My general e-mails
have never been acknowledged.

I would appreciate any feedback, experience, or history with the above.  Thanks
a lot!

Ruth Lazzari