Re: External Synthesizers and JFW 5

  • From: "Tom Lange" <trlange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 06:14:45 -0800

Hi,
Bruce writes:

> Hi all. I use a Triple Talk USB external synth. On occasion, I have been
> guilty of accidentally starting my computer and forgetting to turn on the
> TTUSB. In JFW 4.51 and below, when this happened, JFW would simply default
> to Eloquence. But with JFW 5 I find that JAWS crashes with one of those
> "send report, don't send report" dialogs. I'm wondering if this crashing
> behavior is unique to the TTUSB or if it happens to other hardware synths
> as well.

Good question. I remember a time when JFW would default to Eloquence if my
Dec Express wasn't turned on, but now I simply get no speech. At least the
system, which is Windows ME, by the way,  doesn't lock. If I just turn the
synth on and wait until it says that it's seeing power, then begin moving
about the system as I'd intended to in the first place, then everything's
okay.

I'll have to check this out on my laptop running XP Home and see what
happens.

Tom