RE: Enabling accessibility of spss.

  • From: <Michael.Schulz@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 10:45:07 +0200

I'm using sas, not spss. Both use a private jre. Please check the
installed java access bridge for the original jre. Install info for the
java access bridge can be found in the jaws help guide for  java (jaws
help > help topics > popular applications with jaws > java support >
enter key > f6 > ctrl + end > 4x tab > installing java and java access
bridge). If you have not installed a original jre and the java access
bridge, you won't have java support. You can check it if you open the
java item in the control and setting panel at the start menu - jaws now
must read all items if the original jre and the access bridge is
installed correctly. If you have spss installed before, the install
procedure of java access bridge searches for all jre on the hard disk
and should locate them. You can check that if you look int the folder of
the private jre of spss - here you must have a file named
accessibility.properties in the lib folder and some more files in the
lib\etx folder (access-bridge.jar, jaccess.jarjaccess-examples.jar). If
not you can copy them from the original jre folder - please check for
the manual installation guide on the sun java access bridge website. If
all runs, the accessibility document of spss 16 shows how to go on then.
If all not helps, send a message to spss - that should normally help - I
have very good feed back of sas and that should be the same at spss.
Concerning the spss dictionary for jaws from spss you have to note which
user you have started in vista and copy these files to the
freedomscientific jaws folder of vista's roaming folder of this user
because the user account control (uac) is more complex under vista than
it is in xp.
Hope it helps because it is not very easy to run this complex
installation.
Regards, Michael