Re: ***DHSPAM*** Re: Super anti Spyware in combination with other such

  • From: "James Homuth" <james@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 14:28:00 -0500 (EST)

Being someone who used the free and later the pay version of SAS, I can
easily say your concern for not being able to move away from the interface
during a scan is unfounded. I had absolutely no problem minimizing,
alt-tabbing, you name it away from that program during a scan. In fact,
though it's been a while, I think if you minimize SAS while scanning, SAS
will hide in your system tray and continue to scan until such time as it
needs you to interact with it (IE: it's found something and wants to know
what you want to do with it).

James,
List Admin
On Wed, June 11, 2008 14:10, Yardbird wrote:
Chris,

Thanks for your response.

1. Why are you insistent that I uninstall Windows Defender? If it isn't
conflicting with anything, why bother, on the off chance that it may be
doing something useful even though I never see an interface and don't know
how to inspect it or use it manually? Also, does anyone know how to bring
Windows Defender onto your screen so you can see the program interface?
There's no Desktop icon, and it's not in the system tray. Must I look for
it
in the Start menu?

2. Why uninstall Spyware Blaster? If you reread my message, I didn't say
it's never got an update available. I said it seldom does. I just thought
if
you happeneed to know why, that would be interesting. I didn't say I'm
sure
it's defunct. And it's been operative and, I have to presume, useful for
me
for quite a long time. I don't see any reason to just chuck it.
And again, what danger does it possibly pose to me if I leave it
installed?
I'm not sure there's such a big deal about wear and tear, though of course
you're entitled to feel that way.

3. this is worth noting carefully: Please recall that I never said I had
installed Super Anti Spyware. I said I was *thinking* of installing it.
Regardless, you say that the reason AVG 8 is showing no spyware caught
must
be because Super is catching it all. I'll quote you so that you can see
what
I'm referring to. This makes me wonder about your general enthusiasm for
uninstalling everything except for Super Anti Spyware if you install it

4. Last, I've heard from someone that the free edition of Super Anti
Spyware
performed in such a way that it prevented them from getting away from it
while it's scanning. They say its interface remained on the screen and it
wouldn't let them alt tab into another open application or go to the
Desktop. Is this your experience? Is there a paid edition? Is it necessary
to get the paid edition if you don't want such a thing to happen when you
run it?

Okay, I'll quote what you said about how AVG isn't catching spyware
because
Super Anti Spyware has gotten everything, a sure indication that I should
hold it in high regard. Even though it isn't on my system:

you wrote:

This sounds to me that AVG 8 can't pick up anything as Super Antispyware
already caught them and therefore removed them. This is just placing
unnecessary wear and tear on your computer as you're just scanning for
things that were caught and removed already.
thanks again.