Custom Labels Question

  • From: "John H. Luttenberger, III" <jlutt3@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 12:04:51 -0500

Good morning, JFW listers ,

I'm running Windows XP Home and JAWS version 8.0/2173 Unicode.

I write with a question about assigning Custom Labels in Internet Explorer 7.

I frequently visit a members-only Web site which requires me to log in with my user ID and password. The site has recently undergone a major upgrade, and now speaks very cryptic link names, crying out for the use of custom labels.

I successfully assigned custom labels to the site's home page links, but the next time I logged onto the site, the custom labels did not appear.

All of The custom label entries in the .JSI file for this site are similar to:

http://www.[sitename.org]/[more text]/mysearches.asp?USER_ID_[a 32 hexidecimal digit value]=Searches

Further investigation revealed that I am assigned a new 32-bit User ID value each time I log on to this site, which carries through to all links, causing the complete URLs to no longer match those in the .JSI file--so the custom labels no longer appear.

My question: Is there any setting in JAWS to tell it to drop all link text after ".asp" (i.e., the User Id parameter in this case) when writing the .jsi custom label entries, or is there any other workaround I can use to assure that my custom labels will persist across logon sessions as the User ID parameter value changes?

Thanks in advance for any help with this frustrating situation.

And a happy Thanksgiving to all.

John