Re: American Heritage Englis-Spanish EReference dictionary with Jaws? nbg

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 12:21:01 -0800

Jerry,

right.  I know you can switch the synth that way, but that doesn't seem
practical for a bilingual dictionary!  Hmmm.  I wonder how you're supposed
to do this.  Maybe you've just got to keep Eloquence (or whatever) in
English and put up with the goofy pronunciation of the Spanish and then just
trace its spelling character by character so you can see what the word
actually is.  A little tedious, to put it mildly.  But still, with my modest
Spanish fluency and fairly frequent need to use Spanish in various things, I
get tired of emailing a Mexican friend here, a Cuban friend there, to ask
them to explain something that's hanging me up.  Just the other day I was
reading an angry review of a Norelco shaver on Amazon, written by a
Guatemalan customer, and was laughing at his dramatic condemnation of the
product, but needed translation for one or two words, and had to copy and
paste the review into an email to a Cuban friend in San diego, and wait for
her response when a dictionary would have served very nicely.

I wonder if I should take a chance, the Jaws question notwithstanding.
After all, even if I have to examine each Spanish word letter by letter so I
can "see" it, (actually I do visualize the word), I guess it's better than
no dictionary at all.  Maybe.  Quien sabe.  No no, silly gringo Jaws.  Say
"keyEn Sahbay.  Thank you.