[jewel] Re: GNUstep

  • From: MJ Ray <markj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jewel-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 17:23:02 -0000

Frank Hale <frankhale@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Could somebody fill me in as to what the hype about
> GNUstep is all about? What is so cool about it (I'm
> not trying to be sarcastic, Its an honest question).

It provides most of the framework for writing good applications. There is
a lot of anecdotal evidence that OpenStep developers have written very
complex commercial applications in weeks or months, rather than years
(or often, never) in the case of other development environments. Using
the visual interface modeling application, you can construct a decent
user interface skeleton in a day or so with no coding.
                -- http://www.gnustep.org/information/aboutGNUstep.html

Basically, near-lisp development speed for writing near the C operating
system and libraries.  The UI practices are well-defined too, and
the community are being mostly wonderful lately.  A lot of the least
substantial hype is reflected hype from the Apple MacOSX marketing,
though.

      http://mjr.towers.org.uk/   jabber://slef@xxxxxxxxx
       Thought: "Changeset algebra is really difficult."