[jawsscripts] Re: why is jaws soooo poor at reading installation dialogs?

  • From: Doug Lee <doug.lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 08:48:59 -0500

I sometimes replace the JAWSKey+B, ReadBoxInTabOrder, script with code
that just reads the top-level window's text raw.  This leaves out
control types but often improves the order in which things are read
and avoids repetition of control names.  Coding that script to read in
tab order without duplicating or missing things is a nontrivial task,
though it is one I have occasionally thought of tackling..  But
overall, I've never found it important enough to spend a huge amount
of time trying.

On Wed, Dec 01, 2010 at 11:52:30AM +1100, Geoff Chapman wrote:
cool, well I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this then.

last time I tried window eyes I gleaned it seemed heaps better at just
reading dialogs as they popped up, than good old silentscreen jaws tended to
be. it's such basic basic functionality too, and one of thee most important
ones I reckon, for newby users, which are surely the ones FS would wanna nab
to drag into the fold etc?  newbys need to know what the screen is saying,
and, I just reeeeally think that's something FS should work on. Both that,
and that horrible insert+B, read box. command.

Does anyone else find that just attrociously poor also?
or does anyone have any backbround information on that script who may've
ever looked into it, to see whether it could be majorly improved by someone?
then offered up to fs on a platter? then the blinky world might benefit?