[jawsscripts] mouse button clicking caveats, was Has anyone had problems with 2 jaws scripts using spybot?

  • From: "Geoff Chapman" <gch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 03:29:45 +1000

Hi David.
Firstly, do the scripts say what version of spybot they wer written for? do
you know the author of the scripts and have you put your issues to her/him?
that might be well worth tracking down first.
and, have you tried locating the search button with the actual jaws cursor
and then using the numPad slash, emulated left mouseButton, to activate it?
rather than trying to tab to it and use enter?

your aware I presume, that using the tab key or arrow keys, to locate a
button,  and then enter or spaceBar to activate it, i.e. using pc cursor
focus,
is a totally different process than using the jaws cursor, which is the
mouse,  to locate the graphic or button in question then using the left
mouse button to click on it to execute the control?
I.e.
if the search button is actually tabbable to, which many, many  controls in
applications now are not, by the way,
either natively in the application, or because a script writer has enabled
this process, then spaceBar or enter, might, be able to activate it, but
just left clicking the mouse button as a substitute for hitting enter or
spacebar,
has no chance of activating that control or button, unless you at least
first attempt to take the mouse to the control or button itself,
that is, the position of the pc cursor focus.

Does all this make sense to you?

to test what is going on for you here,
someone would need to install both your version of spybot, and the scripts
you have for it, and I suggest the best person to ask for this kind of help,
would be the script author themselves, if indeed their scripts have been
written for the version of spybot you are attempting to use.

at the very least though, if they are unable or unwilling to do this, you'd
probably get more chance of someone up here seeking to help, if you were to
provide direct URL's to both the spybot version you are using, and the
scripts for it.

I'd just encourage you to be really aware though David, that more and more
and more these days, I can't stress this enough, in my personal view, to get
much, "out of box," independent  joy/success  with an application, getting
familiar and comfortable with using the jaws cursor to investigate and drive
things, is becoming more and more the order of the day, than relying on the
older methods of expecting to be able to use tab and enter keys.

Here's another curve ball to throw at you.
be aware too, that I have found that in, some, - not many, but some,
 instances, the numPad slash left mouse button jaws emulation keystroke,
does, not, always perform a precise duplication,
as one would initially expect in all cases,
as the physical left mouse button on the mouse itself.
I can't go into the technical reasons as to exactly why this is so, except
that I can tell you I have found it to be the case in, some,  situations.
This is of course fairly readily testable if you suspect something of this
nature might be going on.
Though it is relatively rare and I suspect isn't happening in your app.
though it's worth pointing this out for people who may never have seen this
behaviour before.
The workAround I've been able to successfully use in these cases outside of
hotspot clicker, which has some builtins to cope with this for those
situations,
is to invoke the leftMouseButton lock/unlock toggle function instead, which
seems to force the emulation to duplicate a normal left physical mouseButton
click in those situations, which works, where hitting straight NumPad slash
does not.
i.e. Hold the jawsKey down and just double click the NumPad slash key, and
you can duplicate a slightly longer held version, of a single mouse click,
which in some situations I've found, seems to repair this problem where the
straight NumPad slash key, just doesn't seem to be, "seen", by the
application for whatever reason.