[jawsscripts] Re: advantages of object oriented over procedural API, plus Gw Fs Scripting methodology question.

  • From: Victor Tsaran <vtsaran@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Doug Lee <doug.lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 09:04:50 -0700

Hi Doug,
Doug Lee wrote:
> I don't understand the comment about
> VBScript not promoting open source access to assistive technology
> though.  Not only are the VBScript scripts so far written presented
> in source form, but VBScript is only one choice of several at the
> disposal of scripters for Window-Eyes.

Well, for one Window-eyes allows you to protect your scripts with some
sort of secure certificates which, I believe, means you can hide them
from prying eyes. I am sure that Section 508 scripters were considered
as GW Micro badly needs to compete with JAWS in that arena.

Yes, you can use other languages with Window-eyes but, for instance, to
use Python or PERL will require you install respective interpreters on
the user's machine. You see where I am going...

> This is largely why I started writing code in jsl files,

I use several JSL files in JSonar scripts, www.jsonar.org, This helps
modularize the code a bit. The biggest hurtle for me, however, is the
conflict between names of event functions, like you can't have two
KeyPressedEvent ones. Surely, you can somewhat get around this by naming
those events something different but then the initial calls will still
have to come from the main .jss file which defeats the purpose of the
modular approach.