[jawsscripts] Re: Simple question regarding sayString, in thevoice you want?

  • From: Hugh Brackett <hugh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 19:45:35 -0500

Geoff:
It's a common programming convention to have the names of constants that
are defined in header files in uppercase. They are very different from
the variables in the program--They don't even exist at runtime; the
compiler replaces them with the value. JAWS scripting language isn't
case sensitive, so there's no technical reason you shouldn't use mixed
case. It's purely a convention, and it's aimed at sighted programmers.
That said, if you're sending scripts to other people, they probably
expect uppercase. It shouldn't be too hard to write a program that fixes
constants to match the capitalization in the header file. Going the
other way to make scripts sound better is trickier. The program would
need a dictionary file to know how to write the constants. The
dictionary would initially only need a few dozen entries to handle
commonly used constants. Users could add any others they use and share
them on the wiki. If enough people are interested I'll take a stab at
it.