[jawsscripts] Re: SayMessage vs SayFormattedMessage?

  • From: chad.foster@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 12:31:41 -0500

Use the SayFormattedMessage function when you need to pass variables
into the %1, %2, %3, etc., placeholders in your messages, and use the
SayMessage when you do not need to pass variables into the message
strings.

I also use the Say function extensively, as it permits strings to be
marked up for Speech and Sounds Manager options.

Thanks,

Chad

On 1/2/09, Donald Marang <donald.marang@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am attempting to eliminate all SayString statements in my code (except for
> valuable commented debug statements).  Can anyone tell me the difference
> between the SayMessage and SayFormattedMessage statements?  Based on their
> descriptions, it sounds like only the SayFormattedMessage will accept and
> process the %1... substitutions.  That does not seem to be the case in JAWS
> 10!  Was there a difference in earlier versions that should be maintained to
> assure that your scripts run in earlier versions?  Which is preferred?  The
> following statement compiles and functions properly whether it is a
> SayMessage or SayFormattedMessage:
> SayMessage (OT_MESSAGE,
>
> FormatString (MSG_POST_LIST_ITEM_L, gsResultsNumber, IntToString
> (giCurrentResultsItem), IntToString (lvGetItemCount
> (ghWndResultsListView))),
>
> FormatString (MSG_POST_LIST_ITEM_S, gsResultsNumber, IntToString
> (giCurrentResultsItem), IntToString (lvGetItemCount
> (ghWndResultsListView))))
>

> Don Marang

Chad Foster
Access Technology Solutions
Leveling The Playing Field Through Technology
http://www.GO-ATS.net