[jawsscripts] Re: Is there a way to intergreat program and scripts from one program and put the scripts in another?

  • From: Doug Lee <doug.lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 14:17:12 -0500

I missed the start of this thread, but the Subject line sounds more
like we're talking about making scripts for one app, or app version
maybe, work with another. That's of course very different than making
two script sets work at the same time for one app. If my guess on the
original subject is wrong, the rest of this message is likely to fail
at integrating usefully into this discussion. :)

Retrofitting a set of scripts from one app to another app or version
varies widely in complexity depending on how different the new app or
version is, as compared to the old.  There's no pat answer to the
question "Can this be done easily?" As an example, Adobe Audition 3
and CS5.5 are very different beasts, and writing scripts for CS5.5
would not be made much easier by borrowing from script code written
for 3. On the other hand, Internet Explorer's various incarnations
have shared significant enough functionality to make script code
migration sensible.

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 04:07:26PM -0300, Andrew Hart wrote:
If what you're asking is if two different sets of scripts without source
code could be integrated to run and be active for the same application,
I can think of one way to do this, but without access to the source
code, it's always going to be an iffy proposition.
The basic idea would be to combine the jkm files for the two sets of
scripts.  If there are key conflicts, you'd have to make reassignments
to eliminate these.  You'd create a script file for the application that
"Uses"  the two jsb files.

However, there's no guarantees this would result in properly functioning
scripts that play nicely together.  Special attention would be needed to
handle shared event functions and if the two jsb's happen to declare
global variables with the same name, you'd probably just be plain out of
luck.  Plus there'd be all the difficulties of reverse engineering and
figuring out how to meld the scripts in order to make them play nicely
together.  For simple script sets, this probably wouldn't be a major
problem, but for complex script sets, it's likely that one or both will
inadvertently stomp on the other at times.
By far the best way of achieving this would be to have the two authors
colaborate on making their scripts coexist harmoniously as pointed out
by Chris.  Mind you, this would make the task of updating the scripts
while maintaining compatibility somewhat of a headache for the two
developers.

I've only made some general comments here, as I am familiar with
neither the scripts nor the applications under discussion.  However, I
am pretty certain that, provided there were sufficient will on the part
of two script developers, a framework could be established whereby
scripts could be made to work together without the need to have access
to each other's source code     .  For a partial example of this,
you need look no further than the Hotspot Clicker scripts which have
been integrated into a number of other script sets with fairly little
effort and the source code is not strictly required for this, merely
knowledge at an API kind of level.  Whether it would be worth the time
and effort for two developers collaborating to do this kind of thing is
another story altogether.

Reading over what I've written, I'm not sure that anyone'll be able to
follow me, but here it is anyway.  Hopefully someone finds it useful.

Cheerio,
Andrew.

On 9/01/2012 4:31 PM, Chris Smart wrote:
> Dave, native Keys won't be integrated into CakeTalking unless
> CakeTalking allow it, make their source code available to the guy
> who makes Native Keys.
> CTS MASTERING: PROFESSIONAL MIXING AND MASTERING! Clear True Sound:
> www.ctsmastering.com --
>
> Always have your stuff when you need it with @Dropbox. Seamlessly
> share with your friends and colleagues. 2GB account is free!
> http://db.tt/bQ2GuIt

Doug Lee, Senior Accessibility Programmer
SSB BART Group - Accessibility-on-Demand
mailto:doug.lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  http://www.ssbbartgroup.com
"While they were saying among themselves it cannot be done,
it was done." --Helen Keller