[jawsscripts] HotSpotClicker, hsc, was Scripting A Button customer Graphic Label

  • From: "Geoff Chapman" <gch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 01:28:49 +1000

Sorry Steven, miscommunication, thought you realized this.

hsc stands for HotSpotClicker, and it can be found at:

http://www.hotspotclicker.org

Can't go into it all right now, but you can read extensively about it there.
it's another utility, built on the jaws scripting language, so it's not
really a separate application per se, and after installing it on your
system, you can "tie it in," to scripts for certain applications, in either
simple or slightly more complex mode,
depending on if you need Set switching, or the hsc Prompter feature, the
latter of which I haven't found to be as useful as I'd have wished.
it has been developed over the past several years by Jim Snowbarger, and I
have been involved in testing and some of the feature set desires etc.
It's basically a bit of what I call a "menu driven, front end," approach to
seeking to make applications accessible.  But has still been found to be
extremely useful for gaining quick solutions to some knotty problems,
especially for people who don't know scripting very extensively.  This is
primarily where we were aiming at, when it was built.
It's primary task/focus, though it can have a range of other applications
too,
really, is to be able to set up jaws to perform various types of mouse
Clicks, on given areas of the screen, which maybe otherwise difficult to
identify with jaws, using a, relatively simple, wizard style approach, after
a sighted person perhaps, places the mouse at the location you need to be
able to click at. this can then be easily attached to a hotkey of your
choice, bringing increased drivability to applications which rely on
clicking the mouse rather than provision of decent keyboard support etc.
These locations are then called, "hotSpots." and they are assigned user
customizable names during the definition process, and can then either be
executed via a hotkey, if one is assigned, or via picking it from a list of
spots and hitting enter, from the alt+control+shift+f1 dialog after hotspots
have been defined.

It's got several very useful features in my view, but like anything, it
certainly isn't the answer to solve every accessibility problem that's for
sure. But, it can be made to do other very funky things too, like click the
mouse on the spot you've set up, then check the color of a pixel at that
location, and if it is a certain customizable color, hsc should speak a word
or phrase etc.  one can also attach one's own custom built functions into
the spot definition, making it a rather powerful tool to be used in
combination with other functions, which can be most simply entered after a,
function= statement in the hotspot definition, separated by vertical bar
characters etc.
it's a cool tool!