[jawsscripts] Re: File Compare

  • From: "Paul Magill" <magills@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2014 23:09:58 +1100

Hi Jim & all,

I use the old DOC file comparison tool, FC.EXE.
It is a little clumbsy to use, but I only need it now and then, & I
understand it fine, so no need for another learning curve to use one of the
new "you beaut" comparison programs.

It is still in windows 7, which I now use.

I set up a folder specifically for doing file comparisons, & use a batch
file to run the tool.  The batch file & the files to be compared go in the
folder, & the output is also generated in the folder. *Of course, you can
set it up to compare files in whatever folders you want, but for me, this
method is easier.
There is a copy of the batch file below.

Because it is DOS based, you need to go out to the command line in that
folder, then type the bat file name followed by the names of the 2 files to
be compared.
I found the easiest way to get the command line to open in my testing
folder, is to focus on the folder name in Explorer, then hit
shift+applications key, & choose  "open command line here".

Example command line to run the batch file:

FileComp "work outlook 2010.jss" "outlook 2010.jss"

Note that quotes are needed around the file names if they contain spaces.

It outputs to a plain text file, with easy to read results.

Sample output:
Comparing files Work Outlook 2010.JSS and OUTLOOK 2010.JSS
***** Work Outlook 2010.JSS
 8628:  IF NOT StringIsBlank (G_CRNTransferString) THEN
 8629:   LET CombinedList = "CRN: " + G_CRNTransferString + " -" + VertBar +
CombinedList
 8630:  ENDIF ; placing CRN at top of list
***** OUTLOOK 2010.JSS
 8628:  IF NOT StringIsBlank (G_CRNTransferString) THEN
 8629:   LET CombinedList = G_CRNTransferString + VertBar + CombinedList
 8630:  ENDIF ; placing CRN at top of list
*****

***** Work Outlook 2010.JSS
 8743:  IF FirstCall THEN
 8744:  Say (TotalDownloadSize + " to download", OT_No_Disable)
***** OUTLOOK 2010.JSS
 8743:  IF FirstCall THEN
 8744:  PCCursor ()
 8745:  Say (TotalDownloadSize + " to download", OT_No_Disable)
*****
End output sample.

In the below batch file, you are likely to need to change the file paths to
suit your system, & you may prefer different switches.
The batch file I call FileComp.bat:
@echo off
rem to compare 2 .jss files in the \testing folder
rem on the command line in the DOS environment, provide the full name of
both files. the result will be in FileComp.txt

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\fc.exe /c /l /n /w %1 %2 >
c:\users\admin\documents\testing\FileComp.txt

End batch file.

The below list of switches is available with FC /?
Compares two files or sets of files and displays the differences between
them.

FC [/A] [/C] [/L] [/LBn] [/N] [/T] [/W] [/nnnn] [drive1:][path1]filename1
  [drive2:][path2]filename2
FC /B [drive1:][path1]filename1 [drive2:][path2]filename2

  /A     Displays only first and last lines for each set of differences.
  /B     Performs a binary comparison.
  /C     Disregards the case of letters.
  /L     Compares files as ASCII text.
  /LBn   Sets the maximum consecutive mismatches to the specified number of
         lines.
  /N     Displays the line numbers on an ASCII comparison.
  /T     Does not expand tabs to spaces.
  /W     Compresses white space (tabs and spaces) for comparison.
  /nnnn  Specifies the number of consecutive lines that must match after a
         mismatch.

Regards,
Paul from Australia.