[jaws-uk] Re: windows xp with Jaws

  • From: "Kevin Lloyd" <kevin.lloyd3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 15:31:16 -0000

Hi.

I always use the following guidelines:

Configuring XP For Use With Jaws

Configuring the Start Menu

List of 13 items

. Open the start menu with the Windows Key or Control + Escape

. Press Escape

. Press Shift + F10

. Cursor down to "properties" and press Enter

. A dialog will open displaying the options for the Taskbar and Start Menu

. Use the down arrow to select "classic start menu"

. Press the tab key one time to access the "customize" button

. Press the spacebar

. Use the tab key five times to access the start menu options

. use the down arrow to locate "use personalized menus"

. Uncheck this option with the spacebar

. Tab to OK and press the spacebar

. Tab to OK once more and press the spacebar

list end

Configuring the Taskbar

List of 10 items

. Open the start menu with the Windows Key or Control + Escape

. Cursor down to "Control Panel" and press enter

. Cursor down to "Taskbar and Start Menu" and press enter

. A dialog will open displaying the options for the Taskbar and Start Menu

. There are a series of checkboxes within this property sheet.

. Tab to "lock taskbar." This option should be checked.

. Tab to "keep the taskbar on top of other windows." This option should be
checked.

. Tab to "show quick launch." This option should not be checked.

. Tab to "show clock." This option should be checked.

. Tab to the OK button and press the spacebar

list end

Configuring the Folder Options

List of 13 items

. Open the Start menu with the Windows Key or Control + Escape

. Cursor down to "settings" and press enter

. Cursor down to "control Panel" and press enter

. Cursor down to "folder options" and press enter

. Use the down arrow one time to select the radio button labeled "Use
Windows Classic Folders."

. Press the tab key to access the next set of radio buttons

. Use the up arrow to select "browse each folder in the same window"

. Press the tab key to access the next set of radio buttons

. use the down arrow to select "double click to open an item (single click
to select)

. Press Control + Tab to move to the second property sheet labeled "view"

. Press the tab key twice to access the tree view of options

. Press the letter "S" until the option "show pop-up descriptions for folder
and desktop items" is located. Make sure this option is unchecked.

. Tab to "OK" and press the spacebar

list end

Setting the Windows Color Scheme

List of 7 items

. Open the Start Menu

. Press Enter on Settings

. Press Enter on Control Panel

. Cursor down to "display" and press enter

. Press Control + Tab three times to access the "appearance" property sheet

. Press the letter "W" until you hear "Windows Classic style"

. Tab to "OK" and press the spacebar

list end

Disabling Window Effects

List of 13 items

. Open the Start Menu with Windows Key or Control - Escape

. Press enter on "settings"

. Press enter on "Control Panel"

. Press the letter "S" until you hear "system" and press enter

. Press Control - Tab three times to access the "Advanced" property sheet

. Press the Tab key until you locate the first "settings' button

. Use the down arrow to select the "custom" radio button

. Press the Tab key one time to access the list of checkboxes.

. Use the Down Arrow keys to move through the options within the list

. Uncheck all checked items through the use of the Spacebar.

. When you are sure all of the options are unchecked, tab to the OK button
and press the spacebar

. Tab to the OK button within the System Properties dialog and press the
Spacebar

. Close the Control Panel with Alt + F4

list end

Configuring My Computer and Windows Explorer to display a list

List of 8 items

. Press Windows Key + E to open Windows Explorer

. Open the view menu

. Cursor down to "list" and press enter

. Open the Tools menu with Alt + T

. Cursor down to folder options and press enter

. Press Control + Tab one time to access the view property sheet

. Press the spacebar on the "apply to all folders" button

. Tab to "OK" and press the spacebar

list end

Configuring the Menus of MSIE

List of 6 items

. Open the tools menu of MSIE

. Cursor down to "Internet Options" and press enter

. Press Control + Shift + Tab to access the "advanced" property sheet

. Press the letter "E" until the checkbox labeled "Enable Personalized
Favorites menu" is located.

. Use the spacebar to uncheck this option

. Press Enter

list end

***

Return to the Reference Card index

Return to the ATI Home Paeg

Email ATI

}

Barry

It was always said of him, that he knew how to keep Christmas well, if any
man alive possessed the knowledge. May that be truly said of us, and all of
us!

And so, as Tiny Tim observed, "God Bless Us, Every One!

--Charles Dickens

HAPPY CHRISTMAS!