[jaws-uk] Using JAWS with Adapted Keyboards

  • From: Andrew Ronksley <andrew.ronksley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 12:22:47 +0100

Hi everyone.

I am hoping someone might be able to help me out on this one. I work for a small charity based in East London that works with assistive technology. I have a client who is wanting to use JAWS but she struggles to use a standard keyboard as she has quite bad shakes and tremors in her hands. We have looked into the use of a keyboard guard with her and this helps to an extent but it is still not ideal for her.

She has been tried with some adapted keyboards and guards which have much larger keys. These are the keyboards we have been looking at for her - BigKeys LX (http://www.inclusive.co.uk/catalogue/acatalog/big_keys_lx.html) and Jumbo XL (http://www.inclusive.co.uk/catalogue/acatalog/jumbo_xl.html). She can manage much better with these but i am a little unsure as to how well these keyboards can be used to control JAWS. Neither of these keyboards have a numeric keypad as found on a standard keyboard. Does anyone have any prior experience of using JAWS with an adapted keyboard or does anyone know if this is something that will cause a problem for using JAWS? If so, does anyone know of any workarounds that may be possible, i.e. changing the keyboard commands in JAWS etc? I am not a screen reader user myself and so i am a little unfamiliar with all of the keyboard commands for controlling JAWS.

Thanks very much for your help.

Regards,
Andrew Ronksley.
** To leave the list, click on the immediately-following link:- ** [mailto:jaws-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=unsubscribe] ** If this link doesn't work then send a message to: ** jaws-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ** and in the Subject line type ** unsubscribe ** For other list commands such as vacation mode, click on the ** immediately-following link:- ** [mailto:jaws-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=faq] ** or send a message, to ** jaws-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the Subject:- faq