[jaws-uk] Re: Text to speech software

  • From: Léonie Watson <tink@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 20:27:13 +0100

Johny,

    Not science fiction at all. There are several ways you could approach
this...

    You could use something called a screen reader which translates on
screen content into synthetic speech. Jaws is a screen reader, but it's
probably not quite what you need.

    I'd recommend using SA To Go. It's free, available online and you can
use it to access all common programmes in speech including Word. Head to the
following URL to try it out:
http://www.satogo.com/

    A screen reader will speak everything to you though, including menus,
the desktop and the content of the document. Alternatively, you could use an
application that translates the Word doc into speech. There are a few of
them around and I don't have any URLs, but Text 2 Audio is one name off the
top of my head.

Léonie.

--
http://www.tink.co.uk/