[jaws-uk] Re: Possible help for George Bell.

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 11:21:01 -0000

Hi Robin,

Thanks for the heads-up.

Unfortunately it seems that Yahoogroups's membership list
included just above everyone who was ever a member of the
list.

However, I hope (and pray) that I've managed to respond very
quickly to anyone who has asked to be removed.

Spam filters are another matter altogether.  I have no
control over these at all.  If they consider jaws-uk as
spam, and dump it, then the only course of action is for the
recipient to add the list to their "safe" list.

The subscribe/unsubscribe problems are invariably caused by
the sender's mail system adding comment markers, like >
signs to the message.  This messes up the message's commands
which, being Unix based, use a double slash as a command
delimiter.

Again I've tried to keep an eagle eye on this, and have
manually anyone whom I see with a problem.  I'm assuming
this effort must be working, since I've not had too many
people yelling at me on the list that their unsubscribe has
failed.

George.

Clayden
> Sent: 14 December 2004 11:03
> To: jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [jaws-uk] Possible help for George Bell.
>
> Hi George and all,
>
> I've just accidentally come across a situation which may
> explain, and perhaps help you see how some folks are not
> getting unsubscribed after replying to that original post
you put out.

> It's all to do with spam filters I reckon. I've just seen
> couple of spams in my junk folder here, and I've got the
> Mcafee programme running on the Outlook 2000 mail exchange

> server. One was from an Ian Grant wishing to be
unsubscribed...

> I also happened to go look at webmail for my wife and I,
for
> my home pc's which are setup with BT's spam guard plus,
where
> suspected spam is placed in a Bulk folder for later
deletion.
> This also places the senders address into the block
senders
> list, and I happened to see five messages up there from
> authentic jaws uk members.
>
> So, if you have a similar system where you perhaps aren't
> seeing what your filters are classing as junk or spam,
well
> there may be some explanation to those grumpy folks who
keep
> nagging you to take them off the list.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Robin Clayden, Switchboard.