[j-say list] Re: J-Say & Remote Desktop

  • From: "Sue Martin" <smartin27@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <j-say@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 19:18:23 -0500

Kristyn,

I'm not sure I ever saw an answer to your question.  Technically, I'm afraid
I don't know the answer.  However, I think the answer depends upon what
you're trying to do.  When I VPN into the Veterans Administration network I
can use my laptop for anything I'd do on my desktop computer at work.  I can
access my files as they are stored on a network drive and I can use any
programs that I would ordinarily need to use.  Your ability to do this would
depend, of course, on if you are able to VPN into your work server and if
the files you need are stored on a network drive.

As for remote controlling another computer, I've recently been using a
remote incident manager from Serotek.  I've used it with my Dragon students
who have gotten stuck and needed some help.  The program allows me to hear
whatever screen reader the client is using, in this case JAWS.  I can
completely control the other person's computer and fix any problems that
have arisen.  This is similar to the Serotek product which is now called
System Access Mobile network, or SA for short.  Using SA I can log on to my
own computer from work and use JAWS on it.  I can E-mail myself a file or
just check on something like my personal E-mail account.  I've used it on my
mother's computer as well.  I have a copy of JAWS on her computer so I can
log on and help her out of trouble if she needs it.  We've even talked on
the phone as I've controlled her computer and we've picked out Netflix
movies together.  The difference with remote incident manager is that you
have to have the approval of the other user before taking control of his or
her computer.

I'm not sure this answers your question but here it is, for what it's worth.

Sue

  _____