[iyonix-support] Re: nvidia dont seem to make a fx5200??

  • From: James Scholes <james.r.scholes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 17:35:40 +0100

In message <ff53b3764e.rogerarm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Roger Darlington <rogerarm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 16 Oct 2006, David Thomas wrote:
>> Roger Darlington wrote:
>>> Looking at the Nvidia website, Nvidea dont seem to make an FX5200 any
>>> longer. Is it obsolete??
>>>
>>> They make a N6200, which someone said was compatible with ROM 5.12.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know the differences between the fx5200 and the fx6200?
>>>
>>> I cannot compare the specs using Nvidias website, since the 5200
>>> doesn't seem to exist/
>>
>> A handy reference is Wikipedia's comparison of nVidia GPUs:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_NVIDIA_Graphics_Processing_Units
>>
> Hmm - I'm even more puzzled now.
> There are two 5200s and four 6200s from which to chose.

I don't blame you, however, it's easily solved: Look at the Bus
Interface column: You want a PCI (not PCI-Express) card, which narrows
it down to one 5200 and 2 6200s. It looks like there was an early 6200
(codename NV43) which was superceded by the later one (NV44)

You'll probably find that in places that are selling the PCI version,
you won't have to worry about being spoilt for choice!

Opinions expressed here are probably my own, but you can't be too
careful, can you?