[iyonix-support] Re: network-connection

  • From: Wlm <wlm4p@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 13:11:01 +0100

Op 18-02-10 11:25, David J. Ruck schreef:
On 18/02/2010 10:11, Wlm wrote:
Ever since I connected my Mac to my Iyonix and the pc's in our house
the Iyonix has been losing the connection after a while.

How are they connected? ADSL router?
Indeed, with DHCP, but every machine always uses the same IP-address.
How exactly is the connection being lost?
I don't use a browser on the Iyonix and my mail is handled from the Mac,
I notice the loss when I try to use LanMan for the pc's or FTPc for the Mac.
Can you ping other machines on the local network or the internet?
Can other machines ping the Iyonix?
When the connection is down I can't ping. It says: No route to host.

A ctrl-break would be enough to kick the connection back to life,
but since I updated to OS 5.16 it stops booting when trying to contact
the DHCP-server for IntelPro/1000 interface.
Clicking 'escape' will continue the boot, but without network-connection.

That could be the common issue of the network card not being ready at boot up, in some situations.

I learned that disconnecting the Mac before starting the Iyonix gives a
proper boot with network-connection and after that I can reconnect the Mac.

It's a work-around that I can live with, but I would rather have a more
stable network-connection between The Iyonix and the rest.

Is the Mac attempting to provide a DHCP or DNS service?
No, as far as I know it uses a fixed address.

--
Regards,
Willem Arends

---