[iyonix-support] Re: network-connection

  • From: Alan Adams <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 12:30:59 GMT

In message <4B7D2F2E.6010208@xxxxxxxxx>
          Wlm <wlm4p@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Op 18-02-10 12:56, Alan Adams schreef:
>> In message<e16478eb50.stbruk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>            Steve Bradbury<steve.bradbury@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>>

>> My suspicion is that one of the machines is configured with a static
>> IP address within the DHCP range - tyhe Iyonix tries to renew its
>> address, another machine is using the address - failure. (It shouldn't
>> fail, it should request a different address, but it depends on how the
>> software is written.)
>>
> Indeed, all machines use a static IP-address within the DHCP range.
That sounds like the problem.

> Which software are you referring to?

The TCP-IP stack on the machine in question.

If you have DHCP on your network, then machines whose address is set
statically (i.e. manually, using the control panel) must use addresses
which the DHCP server is not allowed to issue to its clients.

There are several ways to achieve this. The simplest is to set the
DHCP range to a part of the total set of addresses your network has,
and set the static addresses from the rest of the range. Here I use 2
to 20 for static addresses, and the DHCP server is given 100 to 200 to
issue. This is the best solution for a home network.

Another is to set reservations within the DHCP range, which tells the
DHCP server to use a specific address when a client with a specific
MAC (i.e. ethernet, nothing to do with Apple) address requests
service. This allows you to fix addresses for printers and servers,
while using DHCP for every machine. On a big network, it's usually the
safest approach.

The third way it to set exclusions - addresses within the DHCP range
the server isn't allowed to issue, then use these excluded addresses
for your static clients.

While DHCP makes attempts to give a machine the same address every
time it requests one, it must not be relied on. The protocol is
intended to be adaptive, and will for no readily apparent reason issue
a different address to a computer on occasion.

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx