[iyonix-support] common-mode false disc error 23's

  • From: Roger Darlington <rogerarm@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 22:17:21 GMT

Just now, I have had the Iyonix refuse to start up correctly, and end
up in VGA mode which then took ages to stop the hourglass circulating.
When it did settle, it said disc error 23 on drive4. Clicking on drive
5, it gave the same error message, disc error 23 on 5.  Clicking on
drive 6 it also gave disc error 23 on 6.

Clearly, all 3 drives cannot have gone wrong simultaneously. So, there
must be some common-mode failure. Something that will prevent all disc
drives from working, and makes tham all report disc error 23, despite
them all being perfectly alright.

I repeatedly switched the Iyo off at the back and tried again.

I did this 6 times over an hour, everytime the same things happened.

I then left it switched off for 10 mins, and it booted up perfectly,
hence I can now type this message. All 3 discs are perfect, no disc
error 23s anywhere!

What circumstances can invoke common-mode and false 'disc error 23'
errors?

--

Cheers
Roger