[iyonix-support] Re: Strange Error Message

  • From: John Ballance <jwb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2011 10:36:24 +0100

Hi

Sounds like some other machine already had the same IP address..

is your iyo using static IP whilst others use DHCP.. with overlapping address ranges?

was the message sysctl ?

JB

Stop press! Just announced - Price Promise

# The Utility Warehouse Price Promise means you can benefit from: The UK's cheapest Home Phone
# The UK's cheapest Home Phone and Broadband bundle
# The UK's cheapest Mobile tariffs
# The UK's cheapest standard Gas and Electricity

Or they will give you back Double the Difference!

Charges, terms and conditions apply. For full details of
the Utility Warehouse Price Promise see http://www.ucallusave.co.uk
<http://www.ucallusave.co.uk>

Intrigued? Call me

John Ballance C.Eng MIET - jwb@xxxxxxxxxx - 07976 295923

On 02/07/2011 10:07, Matthew Thompson wrote:
Yesterday when I switched on my Iyonix it stopped during boot up with
an odd error message. It was just at before the desktop should appear
and it was an "error from desktop" and it said "machine did not start
up properly" and there was an error message which was gibberish, it
said something about 'sys' and wasn't a proper error message at all.

If I cancelled it I got to the desktop but it didn't do anything, so
if I pressed Alt/Break I could select 'Stop Unknown' and then then it
would actually work OK, but the machine would not connect to the
internet , Netfetch said I the machine had a network error. So I
rebooted with the network options swtiched off and no error message
appeared, turned it back on it and the message came back, then after
a while and a few reboots the message just vanished and the machine
was fine again.

There was no explaination as to why this happened, nothing changed
with the machine, it was just there, and then it wasn't , had anybody
else experienced this problem ? it was clearly connected to the
network files, I thought maybe some file had got corrupt but obviously
not.

Cheers
Matthew