[iyonix-support] Re: Some Guidance Required Please

  • From: Steve Fryatt <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 12:26:26 +0100

On 30 Apr, John Ballance wrote in message
    <4DBBB14E.5020202@xxxxxxxxxx>:

> AND BEAR IN MIND, these original power supplies were sourced almost
> entirely in late 2002 and early 2003.. i.e. around 8 years ago. I wonder
> how many far east PCs of late 2002 would still be running on original

It depends: if the PSUs were decent quality, then probably most.  That said,
all ATX PSUs will be designed for a finite working life at full load:
probably five years, or even less.  The output caps, which are aluminium
electrolytics, only have a certain load-life before they dry out.  As this
happens their capacitance falls and their resistance rises: both of which
contribute to increased ripple on the output voltages.

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/