[iyonix-support] Re: ROOL developments

  • From: Peter Naulls <peter@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2006 20:12:15 -0700

In message <dda2d2724e.jb@xxxxxxxxxx>
          jb <jwb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <4e72cec0afgrahame.parish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Grahame Parish <grahame.parish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I seem to remember seeing that from 5.12 onwards RISC OS upgrades will be
> > chargeable.  The terms of the ROOL licence imply that all changes should
> > be fed back into the core product.  Does that mean that any enhancements
> > to the OS brought about be external developers will be chargeable upgrades
> > for end users?  What will the expected OS base version be for people using
> > non-ROM based enhancements?  Or is the upgrade charge going to be removed?
> >

> As previouslu announced, those wishing to upgrade to 512 will pay an
> upgrade charge. This is a sort of 'step in time', i.e. it is not
> expected that rom 513, for example, will require an additional charge.
> There may be a future point beyond 512 when a further charge might be
> levied, but there are no plans to do so at present.
>
> As for enhancements, if those feeding back enhancements require
> features of later roms, then that will be what is required. If the
> enhancements fed back are adequately backward compatible, then an
> updated rom will not (obviously) be required. However in that case the
> enhanced 'bits' would need to be soft loaded.
>
> I hope this helps to improve understanding?

Perhaps not.  It's been suggested that it might be possible to build an
entire ROM from source in the future.  Or at least, construct one - I
appreciate there might be some binary objects like the NVidia driver. Of
course, this could well be some time down the road when 5.12 is a
historic version, and then payment might not matter as much.

Grahame should of course remember that the vast majority of applications
still target RISC OS 3.7ish, so this isn't likely to affect those.  Of
course if new versions of things like !Paint require new RISC OS 5 bits,
then those will naturally be required.  Of course, those might just be
softload modules.  It will depend very much on how enhancements play
out.

--
Peter Naulls - peter@xxxxxxxxxx        | http://www.chocky.org/
RISC OS Community Wiki - add your own content   | http://www.riscos.info/