[iyonix-support] Re: ROOL developments

  • From: jb <jwb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 00:22:39 +0100

Hi

In message <4e72cec0afgrahame.parish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Grahame Parish <grahame.parish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I may have misunderstood what is happening here, but could someone (John?)
> please clear up a point that has been worrying me since I saw the recent
> ROOL announcement.
>
> I seem to remember seeing that from 5.12 onwards RISC OS upgrades will be
> chargeable.  The terms of the ROOL licence imply that all changes should
> be fed back into the core product.  Does that mean that any enhancements
> to the OS brought about be external developers will be chargeable upgrades
> for end users?  What will the expected OS base version be for people using
> non-ROM based enhancements?  Or is the upgrade charge going to be removed?

As previouslu announced, those wishing to upgrade to 512 will pay an
upgrade charge. This is a sort of 'step in time', i.e. it is not
expected that rom 513, for example, will require an additional charge.
There may be a future point beyond 512 when a further charge might be
levied, but there are no plans to do so at present.

As for enhancements, if those feeding back enhancements require
features of later roms, then that will be what is required. If the
enhancements fed back are adequately backward compatible, then an
updated rom will not (obviously) be required. However in that case the
enhanced 'bits' would need to be soft loaded.

I hope this helps to improve understanding?

John

--
John Ballance
jwb@xxxxxxxxxx