[iyonix-support] Re: Personalised ROM updater

  • From: ralph_valmai@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 15:22:54 GMT

Thank you Tim and David for your responses.

In message <4e773bc6e4tim@xxxxxxxxx>
          Tim Hill <tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <248a3b774e.ralph_valmai@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>    <ralph_valmai@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I'm feeling a little stupid today. I have downloaded ROM5.12 but I can't
> > find how to download the personalised registered ROM updater.
>
> > Can anybody help out? I will be most grateful.
>
> I found that after buying a PIN, you should return to www.iyonix.com/ROM/
> and login (having registered) and click on 'Downloads' where you download
> the package appropriate to your MAC address. (The word 'updater' is
> perhaps missing from the second paragraph.) It seems you have done this
> already.
>
> 1. Open the ROM512/zip file with !Sparkplug or similar (try
> double-clicking).
>
> 2. Drag the zip's contents somewhere sensible (e.g. here they reside with
> the /zip in: "..to_do.upgrade risc os.not_done.5-12" until installed,
> then guess where I move it! ;-). Though the zip file is called ROM512/zip
> it contains an application !ROM512 and a text file which you should read.
>
> 3. Read the text file.
>
> 4. Run !ROM512.  This application contains not only the new ROM image
> (named as your MAC address) but also the installation software.
>
> Hope that helps. Just don't have a power cut for the little while it
> takes.  ;-)
>
> I'm sure these instructions should be on their website somewhere...

They probably are; I said I was feeling stupid today. However the web page
was just a little misleading. It says: 'Before you can update your ROM you
must download your personalised registered ROM updater.' and then, as you
point out above 'Download ROM5.12 . . . ', suggesting that there are two
separate operations.

OK. Maybe I have too high an expectation that instructions will be strictly
logical.

Thanks for your help.

Ralph

--