[iyonix-support] Re: Networking to the RPC

  • From: Martin <Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 23:02:52 +0100

In article <4e4c283cc5list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   <list@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I used to network my Iyonix and RiscPC together with my (Castle)
> network chip. Now on ADSL ('via DHCP') the RPC is left out of the
> network loop. But sometimes I need to move things between the two
> Computers, and I assume this will mean temporarily disconnecting the
> Internet connection. Fair enough.

> Could someone please walk me through plugging the RPC back into a
> network connection with the Iyonix?

I am no network expert, but it depends on what you are using to connect
your Iyo to your ADSL phone line.

Here I use a thing commonly called a 'Router', which connects one side to
the phone line, and the other side to a network cable to my Iyonix.

However, it also allows 3 other network cables to be plugged in from
other computers: they can access each other AND the broadband link.

In addition, Routers often also have a wireless link, which allows one or
more computers to connect in (to each other and ADSL) wirelessly - very
useful for laptops.

You may have something often called (wrongly) an 'ADSL Modem' which only
allows one computer to connect via a cable, plus the phone line
connection. This would be a problem!

So, we need some more information from you!

Martin

--
Martin Avison      using a British Iyonix running RISC OS 5
                   and the Pluto mail and newsreader