[iyonix-support] Re: Networking

  • From: Alex Waugh <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 16:24:02 GMT

John Ballance <jwb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> the iyo can deliver sharefs stuff far faster at 100mb than earlier
> riscos machines can absorb the data. this results in the rpc taking all
> its time responding to interrupts delivering data in and has no time
> left to use the data.
>
> some work has being going on to make sharefs better in retries, but the
> underlying issue IS that the rpc (etc) is slow and cannot be safely
> spoken to much faster.
>
> protocols that do more handshaking (e.g. because they are designed to
> travel much further than a local intranet) generally recover better.

Or they don't need to recover in the first place. Anything using TCP,
for example, will automatically get the transmission window size
adjusted to match the connection speed.
NFS over UDP sends a reply packet for every received request, and
despite this extra overhead it is both faster and more reliable than
ShareFS over a connection with mismatched speeds.

As I haven't seen the ShareFS protocol specification, this is just
speculation, however it seems to me that the problem is with the ShareFS
protocol, and is unlikely to be fixed without modifying the protocol at
both ends of the connection. The fact that the connection speeds are
mismatched just exaggerates the problem.

Alex

--
Alex Waugh                                           alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx