[iyonix-support] Re: Modifying and Distributing Printer Definition Files

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 10:16:56 +0200

In message <813e8e484e.steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Steve Fryatt <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm not quite sure if this would be better directed towards
> Someone@Castle, but I'll ask it here first.
>
> I've got an application (PrintPDF), which can make use of a slightly
> modified version of the PoScript2 printer definition file to display a
> distinctive icon on the iconbar when Printers is loaded.
>
> The PDFs as supplied with the Iyonix, which I used as the base for my
> version, look identical to the ones that came with RISC OS 4.  Are there
> likely to be any copyright issues with distributing a cosmetically
> different version of the PS definition file with freeware software?

I cannot see anything in the PostScript printer definition file that
could be subject to copyright. The contents are trivial, there is
nothing of creative value in it, and the format is described in the
manuals so you could easily create the same thing from scratch. The
only non-trivial thing in it is the font mapping list but that has no
creative value either, it is simply a description of known facts.

Martin