[iyonix-support] Re: Iyonix driving K8055 board via USB - very slow?

  • From: "David J. Ruck" <druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 20:00:25 +0100

Neil F wrote:
I'm using a heavily cut down, single-tasking version of Dave Higton's
USB prog for driving the Kellerman K8055 USB experimenter's board (as
sold by Maplin etc). I've been using it to drive stepper motors on an
old 8-bit robot arm but find there's an absolute upper limit to the
step speed that I can get the board to output, which seems to be
around 100Hz or 10ms per pulse.

Don't try to use USB as digital I/O, it's a packet based system and can't give you the latency required. What you should be doing is giving a microcontroller higher level instructions; e.g. output 1000 pulses in 250ms. Let it drive the I/O and keep the USB comms down to command/ack pairs.

Cheers
---David

--
Email: druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx