[iyonix-support] Re: Iyonix Linux

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 14:53:05 +0100

In message <14ff988f4e.Nigel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Nigel Willmott <nwillmott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Since no one jumped up and down when I asked in a previous post if
> asking Linux questions would be out of order, here are some.

I think what makes the difference is whether the questions are related
to running Linux on the Iyonix specifically, or just general Linux
questions. Obviously, for any general Linux questions that would arise
on any other platform as well this is the wrong place to ask and you
will find lots of helpful experts in dedicated Linux groups.

> 4) Networking: have loaded Samba ... can see the PCs on from Linux,
> but can't see the Linux disc from the PCs ... is there a setting in
> Samba?

This is a prime example of a question that has nothing to do with the
Iyonix, so it should really be asked in a Linux forum. Be warned that
this question might upset people even there, because it is bound to be
in dozens of FAQs all over the net. Try searching for "configure samba
server".

> 5) Anyone know if Open Office and/or Wine can be run on Iyonix Linux?
> How about the Rox filer ...

As a rule of thumb, the only Linux software you cannot run on the
Iyonix is closed-source software distributed as platform-specific
binaries without any ARM binaries being available. Any other properly
written Linux software distributed as source code should just run.
Just download the sources and compile them. For anything requiring a
lot of processing power or even floating-point computations, do not
hold your breath for high performance though. You will probably need a
lot of patience just to compile OO.org.

Martin