[iyonix-support] Re: HardDisc4 (was ShareFS problem)

  • From: John M Ward <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 13:03:15 +0100

In article <865b71d74f.david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   David W Mills <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> >The advantage of this command is that it will stop any confusion
> >between discs on different machines all named HardDisc4.

A good idea; though I'd put the Obey file in Library.

> When first setting up the Iyonix (many moons ago it seems) we
> realised this problem and renamed the Iyonix harddisc Iyonix so that
> it would not be confused with the SA RiscPC....

This is the better way, though either method will work.

> Surely others have done this?

Yup: all my RISC OS machines have primary and (where there is one)
secondary drives named appropriately, which avoids confusion whether
over Access+ (ShareFS) or otherwise.  I have nine hard drives, including
the one on the RiscBook portable (named "RiscBook"!), and there is never
any chance of mistaking one for another, whether being accessed locally
or remotely.

This method has worked well here for several years, and is the one I
recommend where possible and sensible to adopt.

--
John Ward in Medway, Kent - using RISC OS since 1987
Now using an Iyonix, an A9home, 2 RiscPCs and Virtual-RPC!