[iyonix-support] Re: Floppy drive

  • From: "Jochen Konietzko" <JochenKonietzko@xxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 15:17:00 +0200

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 08:29:11 +0100
> Von: Dr Alan Leighton <alan.leighton2@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> An: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Betreff: [iyonix-support] Re: Floppy drive

> My friend is going to put in another (back up) HD soon so I will get
> him to check,
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Alan

Hmmm - backup?

Have you considered an external USB drive?

An internal HD will help if you accidentally delete a file that's already been
backed up or if your main HD stops working.

BUT if your Iyonix as a whole is destroyed (severe shock, water, fire) or if a
burglar steals it, an internal backup will be no better than no backup at all.

I speak from experience:

I WAS burgled once, and, though the burglary as such was extremely distressing,
thanks to an external  HD (which was hidden away in a different room!) there
was only a day's worth of data loss.
My Windoze PC once did the "next best thing" to physical destruction: XP became
so corrupted that nothing worked; even access to the internal backup - made
with the software that came with the PC - was blocked by a Blue Screen.
Out came the Boot CD for the external backup, and an hour later I was back in
business.
(Actually two hours because I'd been lazy: I'd done daily backups only to the
internal drive, externally it was a weekly cycle; so I restored a working
configuration frome the external drive and then did a second Restore from the
internal backup.
Since then I've faithfully backed up externally every day.)

Kind Regards,

Jochen