[iyonix-support] Re: Does MTU setting work?

  • From: Evan Clark <evan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 23:16:39 +0100

In article <c1708e6e50.davehigton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Dave Higton <davehigton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <506e7024abevan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Evan Clark <evan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > *ifconfig ek0 mtu 1492
> >
> > Just tried this and interest access ceased. I was sure I'd done this
> > before without any problem, so reset the machine and tried again. This
> > time internet access is OK. I've just uploaded, downloaded and deleted
> > from the server, a 3968 byte file via FTP with no errors. I've no idea
> > why changing the setting only works sometimes.

> Did you reissue the command after the reset?  The MTU is reset here.
> 5.14 softload.

Yes, I set mtu to 1492 immediately after the reset.

I then did a Wireshark capture on the above process. The 3968 bytes was
split into three packets of 1360, 1360 and 1248 bytes, both on the upload
and download.

The irony is that I had to reset the mtu to 1500 before I could transfer
the captured data to the Linux box for analysis.

I don't pretend to understand what is going on.

Evan.