[iyonix-support] DHCP discovery at boot time

  • From: Jeremy C B Nicoll <Jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 13:33:25 +0100

On one of my recent experiment with my 5.09 Iyo, I tried unplugging the
network cable from the back of the machine (and I'd previously also
tried once when the router the cable is connected to wasn't on).

The impression I got was that when the message about DHCP attempting to
configure the Intel network interface came up, that the discovery
process just hung.  I agree it might have timed out eventually, but if
so, what's the timeout period?

Is there something one can do (press Escape, say?) that gets the
discovery process abandoned but lets the machine continue to boot? If
not - can some logic be added?  And preferably a single line message
saying so, though I dare say I can add that myself.

If this process does indeed timeout, or can be made to skip, is there a
way of making it happen later on?

--
Jeremy C B Nicoll, Edinburgh, Scotland - my opinions are my own.