[iyonix-support] Re: Changing the battery

  • From: Tim Hill <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 09:33:46 +0100

In article <7f42356551.Alan.Adams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Alan Adams
<alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In message <51651bf1d1tim@xxxxxxxxx> Tim Hill <tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > In article <4CB46D16.5060500@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, David J. Ruck
> >    <druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> When just switched off, the motherboard is still powered.

> > Just for clarity, I assume you don't refer to switching off using the
> > rocker-switch on the PSU. Surely, a PSU's rocker switch will at least
> > disconnect the brown mains wire.

> > If the mobo remains powered after a Shutdown, then a Shutdown isn't
> > 'switching off' is it? Not really. 'Standby' would be more accurate,
> > maybe.

> It's shutdown, in the same sense used by PCs.

I was using the word Shutdown only because it's the menu entry used to
place and Iyonix into 'standby' (which is in the same sense as what a
telly does).

> On a PC:

[Snip]

Microsoft have confusingly (for some) redefined perfectly good words from
the English language to mean what they don't.

i.e Windows XP:
            Standby is a hibernation (i.e. like what Bears do)
            Hibernation is a standby state, as is "Turn Off" which doesn't
            (I can't see a "Shut down" option; is that Win7?)
  A true Switching off is only achieved with the rocker switch on the PSU.

Wake-on-LAN can be really annoying at times if you use NAS as a backup
destination. For some reason my NAS will often wake the damn' PC up about
two minutes after "Turn Off". You think you have shut down and gone out,
only to find it restarted just after you left the house.

In these days of austerity I am hoping that PCs all will eventually
really disconnect all power when Turn Off is selected. Just as HMG wants
them to.

Let's hope any future RISC OS hardware or upgrades has some thought
applied before following ms-misnomers. A proper power off button on the
FRONT of a case, that would be radical!

--
Tim Hill
                                            tjrh.eu