[iyonix-support] Bit of a problem

  • From: John Williams <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 12:17:19 +0100

My Iyonix is suffering from a problem. It starts to boot OK with the
toolbox stuff. Last thing I can see on the screen is SetupNet and
Null-watch.

Screen then blanks as though it's just entered the desktop, but is in some
sort of loop which can be escaped with Alt/Break, giving a Window Manager
message 'Press Stop to terminate unknown'.

Pressing Stop results in a black screen with a flashing horizontal cursor
at the top left from which there is no way out.

I have noticed the m/c rebooting if left alone for a while in this state if
that rings any bells.

Shift-booting doesn't seem to make any difference - still the same sequence.

I've also tried tapping Escape in the active stages, but to no avail.

My keyboard is not the original - that was wine-damaged - but a LabTec one.

The Shift-boot has worked before, though.

Before I dismantle and shove the HD onto an old RPC to look at it (would
that work?), can anyone suggest any alternatives?

It's undoubtedly something I've done - I just need to be able to get in to
see what it is.

Unfortunately the fault is before the HD is shared, so I can't look that
way. It's taken me all morning to get mail running on this RPC.

John