[iyonix-support] Re: Big RAM discs

  • From: "Ste (PlusNet)" <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 14:38:54 +0100

On 26 Apr, David J. Ruck <druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Paul Vigay <lists-nospam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > In article <4ED99682D4%andy-l@xxxxxxxxxx>,
> >    Andy Wingate <andy-l@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > If you use Memphis you can set the maximum Dynamic Area you wish it to
> > > have.
> >
> > Hmm. I did think about that, but was wondering about the reliability of
> > it. I make quite extensive use of a RAM disc (storing !Scrap in it for a
> > start) and don't want to introduce any unreliability into an otherwise
> > reliable system.
>
> Don't use the RAM disc for !Scrap, there is no reason to. On the Iyonix
> RAMFS is actually slower the UDMA hard drive for both reading and writing,
> unlike on the Risc PC where memory was many times faster than PIO Mode 4
> disc access.

It does, however, help with power saving if all of the stuff that commonly
requires disc access is RAM based - you can sleep your hard discs. This is
particularly useful if the sound of your discs spinning travels through the
floor and into your bathroom and really annoys you when you're trying to
relax in the bath. For example. :)

Steve

--
Steve @ PlusNet