[iyonix-support] 4 IDE drives: sequel

  • From: David R Lane <D_Lane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 23:20:04 +0100

Hi all Iyonix PCers,
My confidence that all 4 drives worked was premature.  :-((

After putting the case back on, Nixiyo wouldn't show the second
hard drive icon on the iconbar. (Why do things always go wrong
only after you have put the case back on?)
If I then do a reset all drive icons are present. This is not
very satisfactory.

To remind readers the configuration is

        IDE bus 0 (primary)                IDE bus 1 (secondary)
     Master            Slave            Master            Slave

   Main Hard Drive     Second HD         DVDRW            CDRW

Main Hard Drive = the one Nixiyo boots from.

OK, so I have to try another configuration. Since the main hard
drive has to be on the primary bus as master, this gives 3! = 6
possible arrangements. I don't fancy going through all 5 of the
other arrangements and so can folk advise me which arrangement(s)
are likely to work best?

For what it's worth, the details of the drives are:

The main HD and the CDRW are the original ones fitted by Castle,
the second HD is a Maxtor Diamond Plus 9 80GB ATA/133 and the
DVDRW is a LITEON SOHW-1693S23C.

The arrangement I was going to do, but was put off from doing
because of the physical difficulty of fitting the cables in, is
as follows.

        IDE bus 0 (primary)                IDE bus 1 (secondary)
     Master            Slave            Master            Slave

   Main Hard Drive     DVDRW           Second HD          CDRW

Any comments?

Cheers, Dave Lane

--
Just 5 steps to wars: Bush - Bash - Bass - Bars - Wars