RE: Windows Update

  • From: "Rupert Wood" <me@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 16:04:51 -0000

Edward Sullivan wrote:

> There are big problems using Windows Update on production
> servers. I would recommend that you instead download the
> appropriate hotfixes and service packs individually, and apply them.
>
> Reference this thread for more info on why Windows Update on
> servers is bad news.
>
> http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/ntbugtraq/2002-q2/0054.html

I only have time to skim that, but I read it as

    "Windows Update isn't good enough - MS should provide us
     with something better."

and his only criticism was that you have to manually check that the
patches it applies cover all the security bulletins. There were no
follow-ups to it.

Is that it, or have I missed something? He didn't convice me of any
reason not to use WU or MS's other free tools - you just have to be
aware of their limits.

Rup.