Telnet to Website - How is it meant to work?

  • From: "William Robertson" <robertson.william@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 12:42:39 +0200

Hi there

Often in troubleshooting comments are made to telnet into the problem
website on port 80 to see if everything is fine. My question though is what
am I supposed to see when I do this?

If I successfully telnet to a website I am simply faced with a blank screen.
If I press <ENTER> twice I then get the actual code for the error page. Here
is an excerpt.

HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request ( The data is invalid.  )

Via:1.1 <SERVERNAME>

Connection: close

Proxy-Connection: close

Pragma: no-cache

Cache-Control: no-cache

<HTML dir=ltr><HEAD><TITLE>The page cannot be displayed</TITLE>

<STYLE>A:link {

        FONT: 8pt/11pt verdana; COLOR: #ff0000

}

A:visited {

        FONT: 8pt/11pt verdana; COLOR: #4e4e4e

}

</STYLE>

blah blah blah

Does anyone have any advice on how I should be troubleshooting websites
through a telnet session please?

Cheers

William R.

  _____

William Robertson

AST Mpumalanga

Systems House / Consultant: Software

Tel: 013-2472703 / 083 638 0354

   Fax: 013-2462236

Everything in this e-mail and attachments relating to the official
business of Columbus Stainless is proprietary to the company. It is
confidential, legally privileged and protected by law. Columbus
Stainless does not own and endorse any other content. Views and
opinions are those of the sender unless clearly stated as being that
of Columbus Stainless. The person addressed in the e-mail is the sole
authorised recipient.  Please notify the sender immediately if it has
unintentionally reached you and do not read, disclose or use the
content in any way. Whilst all reasonable steps are taken to ensure
the accuracy and integrity of information and data transmitted
electronically and to preserve the confidentiality thereof, no
liability or responsibility whatsoever is accepted if information or
data is,for whatever reason, corrupted or does not reach its intended
destination.