From: Quillman Shawn (RBNA/CIT1.1) * [mailto:Shawn.Quillman@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 29 September 2003 14:13 PM
To: [ISAserver.org Discussion List]
Subject: [isalist] RE: Telnet to Website - How is it meant to work?

You get a blank screen because the web server you've connected to is waiting
to get ah HTTP request from you.  What you want to do is send the server
you're telnetting to a valid HTTP request to see if you get a response back.
The purpose of this is to see if 1) you can actually connect to the web
server, 2) if the web server is listening and 3) if the traffic is making it
back to you or not.  It's, for all practical purposes, an HTTP ping.  When
you make a successful connection you can use a couple of different requests.
The best for a simple test is to send a HEAD request:

HEAD / HTTP/1.0

Host: remoteservernamehere

<hit enter again>

This should result in the server sending you back the typical response
headers that it will send with as a successful response.

You could also send a regular GET request:

GET / HTTP/1.0
Host: remoteservernamehere

<hit enter again>

With this you will get back the response headers and the HTML of the home
page of the server you're connecting to if things are working well.

2 CRLF's is the indication of the end of an HTTP request, that's why you
have to hit enter twice to get any kind of response from the server.

-Shawn

-----
Shawn R. Quillman
Robert Bosch Corporation RBNA/CIT1.1
38000 Hills Tech Drive
Farmington Hills, MI  48331
(248) 553-1164 (P)     (248) 848-2855 (F)
shawn.quillman@xxxxxxxxxxxx