SMTP, ISA Server and mail relay

  • From: "Nathan Simpson" <nathansimpson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List] \(E-mail\)" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 09:49:22 +1100

Hi,

This is not really related to ISA Server but you guys are on the ball so
what can it hurt to ask.

We have the IIS 5 SMTP service installed on our ISA Server firewall. ( I
know Tom says don't but we have no choice.)

ISA is publishing our Domino Server's POP service plus the IIS SMTP service.

The IIS SMTP service forwards all mail to our Domino Server running on our
AS/400.

This all works fine.

I am trying to understand mail relay and spamming etc. but can't quite get
it.

I need mail relay to send to the Domino Server but how can I deny everyone
else using our server for their own purposes.

Our users can be on the Internet from anywhere so they need to be able to
retrieve and send mail through our server.

Any help on how to setup or good information to read would really be
appreciated.

TIA

Nathan Simpson