RE : ISA Reboots Periodically (losing confidence quickly)

  • From: "Gils Gayraud" <gilisa@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 08:33:48 +0200

Hi Mike,

I am sorry to answer late on this thread.
I am not fluent in ISA server I come in, install and it
works fine for few days, thank's to all guys help me to
do that.

But I am fluent in Microsoft OS, one think I like is the
DDK.I have all other DDK from Windows 2.0 until the last
one today. I support Microsoft OS and I continue to be
close to the DDK and all tools which test hardware.

Before Windows 2000 family came out, we had a very popular
BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death), now Microsoft get better idea,
this is the ROD (Reboot Of Death).:-)

In my view (OS support) 60% of BSOD and ROD comes from hardware.
This other 39% come from drivers. :-) 1% is for me. ;-)

On this 60% percent more then half comes from memory troubles.
And the problem does not arrive in the year we get the machine
on, why ? At the beginning we do not charge the machine as we
do at the end of the life of the machine.

Now what I suggest my key, my life, test harware, memory first.
One very good test is http://www.memtest86.com.
If you have a machine with one giga it will take long time to
test it (more then 11 hours) but after this crazy test you will
be sure.

Now and other hints to save time, when you get ROD like that,
you can set a mini dump file befor to get ROD, then open it with
windbg.exe a tool which is one extra CD with W2K server
(french version) and open it to give us (or to MS-PSS;-)I
worked for 6 years in MS PSS France ;-)) more details to help
you.
--
Best Regards.
GG.