RE: ISA Reboots Periodically (losing confidence qui ckly)

This (OSI Layer 8) is mostly the source off all problems. LOL.
Never heard this words until now.
Great LOL.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2003 3:52 AM
Subject: [isalist] RE: ISA Reboots Periodically (losing confidence qui ckly)


> http://www.ISAserver.org
>
>
> Hi Shawn,
>
> BINGO. I'd put on my wish list a vendor certification process the proves
> the add-on won't cause runaway firewall or Web proxy services. There are
> a few unusual configs that generate KB articles that can cause service
> problems, but I only very rarely run into them. The most common probems:
>
> 1. Misconfiguration -- true for all firewalls, not just ISA
> 2. Layer 1 problems --hardware is broken, very common with cheapo
> components flooding the market, even in high dollar hardware
> 3. Layer 8 problems -- lack of skill and knowledge, as well as politics,
> that cause problems with systems that we need to connect to
>
> I wouldn't even put primary ISA Server problems, that is to say, a clean
> machine, in the top ten.
>
> HTH,
> Tom
>
> Thomas W Shinder
> www.isaserver.org/shinder
> ISA Server and Beyond: http://tinyurl.com/1jq1
> Configuring ISA Server: http://tinyurl.com/1llp
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Quillman Shawn (RBNA/CIT1.1) *
> [mailto:Shawn.Quillman@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
> Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 12:22 PM
> To: [ISAserver.org Discussion List]
> Subject: [isalist] RE: ISA Reboots Periodically (losing confidence qui
> ckly)
>
>
> http://www.ISAserver.org
>
>
>
> Ditto.  We've got 150,000ish people running through multiple ISA boxes
> worldwide (for proxy).  Works great.  Installed for other clients also
> with
> great success.  I would go so far as to say it's one of Microsoft's
> premier
> products in terms of stability.  In my experience it simply does not go
> down
> without the help of third party forces.  I'm not the world's greatest MS
> fan, but definite Kudos to the ISA team.
>
> -Shawn
>
> -----
> Shawn R. Quillman
> Robert Bosch Corporation RBNA/CIT1.1
> 38000 Hills Tech Drive
> Farmington Hills, MI  48331
> (248) 553-1164 (P)     (248) 848-2855 (F)
> shawn.quillman@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: David V. Dellanno [mailto:ddellanno@xxxxxxxxxx]
> Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 12:29 PM
> To: [ISAserver.org Discussion List]
> Subject: [isalist] RE: ISA Reboots Periodically (losing confidence
> quickly)
>
>
> http://www.ISAserver.org
>
>
> Hi Mike,
> I wouldn't throw your hands up just yet.  I've had ISA working
> since it's release.  I have also install many ISA servers for companies
> and I out of all the services ISA never had a reboot issue yet (knock on
> sillicon).  Now don't laugh but my ISA is sitting on a generic (built
> with ME! two hands) P1 -166Mhz with 128MB, yes you heard it correctly,
> P166 128MB, Windows 2000 Server and it has been rock solid.  Yes its
> definitely time for an upgrade but there are poor engineers out in the
> world.  With no unexpected reboot events (wooyoo!).
>
> Are all six ISA boxes reboot unexpectedly?  Have you attempted
> to install ISA on a complete different hardware system yet, to verify
> that its not hardware related?  What have you done so far for
> touble-shooting?
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Mike-TechniSource [mailto:mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
> Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 11:19 AM
> To: [ISAserver.org Discussion List]
> Subject: [isalist] ISA Reboots Periodically (losing confidence quickly)
>
>
> http://www.ISAserver.org
>
>
> Hello,
>
> This is really getting on my nerves in a major way.
>
> About 2-3 times per day (sometimes more), our ISA Box reboots - and all
> the Event Viewer can tell us, is that the "System Shutdown Unexpectedly"
> (well no duh) - and there is nothing else of any value whatsoever, that
> tells us what it may have been.
>
> This is totally unacceptable - and I need to get to the bottom of it.
> Honestly - I've installed about 6 ISA Boxes - in several different
> corporate environments - and I am quickly losing confidence in ISA
> Server - as it just does not run like a true corporate firewall should.
> In every case, we install the software in a Windows 2000 domain
> environment, on ultra-quality Servers, SP1 & FP1, Windows 2000 SPx (the
> latest), etc.  We are always patched with the latest software upgrades,
> and I own every ISA Book written (so needless to say, I do my homework).
> What could this be?
>
> ISA Server may be wonderful - but it's only as good as the Machine, and
> Operating System that it runs on top of.  Maybe it's time to purchase an
> Internet Appliance for this mission critical task - as I can't bank my
> life on something that is unreliable.
>
> Is ISA Server truly a corporate solution???  Are all of you having good
> luck in general with the Software?
>
> I searched the Infobase on MS's site - and it comes back with NOTHING
> regarding random reboots, and other such topics.  Is there anything I
> can check, that can narrow down why this is happening to us?  Is it an
> attack potentially?
>
> I would appreciate any information that could help us out.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------
> List Archives: http://www.webelists.com/cgi/lyris.pl?enter=isalist
> ISA Server Newsletter: http://www.isaserver.org/pages/newsletter.asp
> ISA Server FAQ: http://www.isaserver.org/pages/larticle.asp?type=FAQ
> ------------------------------------------------------
> Other Internet Software Marketing Sites:
> Leading Network Software Directory: http://www.serverfiles.com No.1
> Exchange Server Resource Site: http://www.msexchange.org Windows
> Security Resource Site: http://www.windowsecurity.com/ Network Security
> Library: http://www.secinf.net/ Windows 2000/NT Fax Solutions:
> http://www.ntfaxfaq.com
> ------------------------------------------------------
> You are currently subscribed to this ISAserver.org Discussion List as:
> ddellanno@xxxxxxxxxx To unsubscribe send a blank email to
> $subst('Email.Unsub')
>
>
> Confidentiality Notice:
> This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of
> the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged
> information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is
> prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the
> sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.
>
>
> Confidentiality Notice:
> This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of
> the
> intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged
> information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is
> prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the
> sender
> by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.
>
> ------------------------------------------------------
> List Archives: http://www.webelists.com/cgi/lyris.pl?enter=isalist
> ISA Server Newsletter: http://www.isaserver.org/pages/newsletter.asp
> ISA Server FAQ: http://www.isaserver.org/pages/larticle.asp?type=FAQ
> ------------------------------------------------------
> Other Internet Software Marketing Sites:
> Leading Network Software Directory: http://www.serverfiles.com
> No.1 Exchange Server Resource Site: http://www.msexchange.org
> Windows Security Resource Site: http://www.windowsecurity.com/
> Network Security Library: http://www.secinf.net/
> Windows 2000/NT Fax Solutions: http://www.ntfaxfaq.com
> ------------------------------------------------------
> You are currently subscribed to this ISAserver.org Discussion List as:
> shawn.quillman@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> To unsubscribe send a blank email to $subst('Email.Unsub')
>
> ------------------------------------------------------
> List Archives: http://www.webelists.com/cgi/lyris.pl?enter=isalist
> ISA Server Newsletter: http://www.isaserver.org/pages/newsletter.asp
> ISA Server FAQ: http://www.isaserver.org/pages/larticle.asp?type=FAQ
> ------------------------------------------------------
> Other Internet Software Marketing Sites:
> Leading Network Software Directory: http://www.serverfiles.com
> No.1 Exchange Server Resource Site: http://www.msexchange.org
> Windows Security Resource Site: http://www.windowsecurity.com/
> Network Security Library: http://www.secinf.net/
> Windows 2000/NT Fax Solutions: http://www.ntfaxfaq.com
> ------------------------------------------------------
> You are currently subscribed to this ISAserver.org Discussion List as:
> tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> To unsubscribe send a blank email to $subst('Email.Unsub')
>
> ------------------------------------------------------
> List Archives: http://www.webelists.com/cgi/lyris.pl?enter=isalist
> ISA Server Newsletter: http://www.isaserver.org/pages/newsletter.asp
> ISA Server FAQ: http://www.isaserver.org/pages/larticle.asp?type=FAQ
> ------------------------------------------------------
> Other Internet Software Marketing Sites:
> Leading Network Software Directory: http://www.serverfiles.com
> No.1 Exchange Server Resource Site: http://www.msexchange.org
> Windows Security Resource Site: http://www.windowsecurity.com/
> Network Security Library: http://www.secinf.net/
> Windows 2000/NT Fax Solutions: http://www.ntfaxfaq.com
> ------------------------------------------------------
> You are currently subscribed to this ISAserver.org Discussion List as:
c.chirila@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> To unsubscribe send a blank email to $subst('Email.Unsub')
> ###########################################
>
> This message has been scanned by F-Secure Anti-Virus for Microsoft
Exchange.
> For more information, connect to http://www.F-Secure.com/



Other related posts: