RE: No problem with Exchange RPC and RPC patch

  • From: "Jeff Sloan" <jsloan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ISALists" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 10:01:49 -0500

I learned late Fri night that Earthlink IS BLOCKING PORT 135.

After several calls to Earthlink direct and to some of their actual
router guys that service the dial up locations, they all assured me that
they were not blocking ports, or at least were not aware of it.
Then after a long conversation with a supervisor of their satellite
division, the supervisor admitted they WERE blocking port 135.

The reason makes sense, but it still kills businesses using Exchange
over the internet.
He said customers could not get the update because their machines would
keep locking up or rebooting, so temporarily they are blocking the port
until the attacks die down and users have a chance to update.

Also, a check on the MS Exchange bulletin boards confirms that other
ISPs are blocking it as well, and the only way around it is to set up
VPNs to tunnel through in order for Exchange to work.
My problem with that is that my salesmen connecting on sorry hotel phone
systems and satellite connections have ping rates that are way to slow
and on average at least half of the pings to anywhere fail.
So we are not able to VPN either.

Now, even if Earthlink stops blocking 135, others may not, and the ISP
industry outsources, or resells their equipment to others, so some
little 'po dunk' ISP that continues to block 135 could adversely affect
connectivity should their routers happen to be in the path between my
users and my network here.

As far as other ISPs we could use, we are a small town that has only one
choice for internet service, and that is Earthlink, and it just so
happens that their equipment is in my office.

Anyway, thought some of you might like to know what may be going on.

Jeff Sloan
Network Administrator
Cross Oil Refining & Marketing, Inc.
484 E. 6th St.