RE: ISA/VPN NLB on Win2003

  • From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 12:35:55 -0500

Hi David,

I'm glad you brought that article up. But what does it really mean? From that
description, can you tell me what the problem is with using L2TP/IPsec with
NLB?

*       Do you think this article implies that with Win2003, you get "stateful"
fail over? And if so, how do you define state?
*       Do you think this article implies that when a member of the NLB array
(cluster reminds me of colon polyps, so I never use that term) fails, the TCP
state of the connection is completely known to other array members and there is
no interruption in service?
*       Do you think that all array members are aware of the SAs established
between the VPN client and VPN server it initially connects to?
*       Do you think that packets are evening distributed among all array
members from a single VPN client? (as this paragraph intimates).
*       Or, do you think the author of this article
http://www.isaserver.org/articles/pptpnbpart1.html provided a hint as to what
the problem with L2TP/IPSec was with Win2k in the first paragraph until the
sectoin header Details of the Combined ISA/VPN Server Problem , and if he
weren't so lazy, he would have given you a link to
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=248346 which explains the problem with the
SAs and L2TP/IPSec :-)

And another thing, if I hear one more person mention the term "stateful" I'm
going to bust a gut :-)

Have a great weekend!

Tom

Thomas W Shinder